NOTICE: Effective December 1, 2017


Certificates of assumed business names and amendments to and withdrawals of them will be transmitted into a statewide, central database maintained by the N.C. Secretary of State, which will be available for searches by the public. A single registration can be effective for multiple counties. The Secretary will maintain a website for this purpose at

  • Allows for the filing to be effective statewide or in multiple counties.
  • Information filed at the local level will be compiled into an online searchable statewide database at the NC Secretary of State‚Äôs Office.
  • Notarization is no longer required.
  • Amendment filings will need to be kept current.
  • Contains a 5 year transition period.


Certificates of assumed names filed under the prior law will expire December 01, 2022 . Everyone desiring to engage in business in N.C. must file a BUAN using the new form after that date.

****The recording fee remains the same. ****

The type of business structure determines where a business name (assumed name) should be registered. A Certificate of Assumed Name for sole proprietorships and partnerships must be filed with the Register of Deeds in the county or counties in which the business plans to operate. A Corporation (LLC, PLLC, and/or PLLC) must register their business name with the Secretary of State's Corporations Division.

Business Under Assumed Name

You may print a Assumed Business Name Certificate to be completed and filed with the Register of Deeds. Information on all owners or partners in the business must appear on the form. Bring or mail the completed form into the Register of Deeds office for recording. See our fees page for filing fees. We can accept cash, certified check or money order only. We do not accept personal checks.

When recording by mail, do not send cash or personal checks. A certified check or money order payable to the Register of Deeds is required. Include a self-addressed and stamped envelope for proper return of the document. Mail the fee with your request to our office.

Amendment of Assumed Name Certificate

Persons wanting to amend their Assumed Business Name Certificate should complete this form and record it with the office of the Register of Deeds. You may print a Withdrawal of Assumed Name Certificate for this purpose.

Dissolution of Business Under Assumed Name

Persons wanting to dissolve their business must also do so in the office of the Register of Deeds. You may print a Withdrawal of Assumed Name Certificate for this purpose.

Business License Information

For information on Business Licenses for businesses located within the city limits, contact the City of Winston-Salem directly. For information on Business Licenses outside the ciy limits within Forsyth County, you may call (336) 703-2300.

Online Tools